What is powder coating?
Powder coating is applied using electrically charged and finely ground pigments and resins that adhere to the surface. It is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a “skin”. You’re left with a beautiful, uniform coating that looks like paint but acts like armour.
The powder may be a thermoplastic or thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint.
The ultimate finish is a tough and durable coat that goes beyond the realms of conventional paint.
Advantages of powder coating
- Powder coating emits zero or near zero volatile organic compounds (VOC).
- Powder coating can produce much thicker coatings than conventional liquid coatings without running or sagging.
- Powder coating overspray can be recycled and thus it is possible to achieve nearly 100% use of the coating.
- Powder coating production lines produce less hazardous waste than conventional liquid coatings.
- Capital equipment and operating costs for a powder line are generally less than for conventional liquid lines.
Who uses powder coating?
Powder coating is mainly used for metals, such as “whiteware”, aluminium extrusions, car and bicycle parts. Other uses are industries, appliance makers, architects and builders who all rely on powder coating for its decorative and protective properties, which include a lustrous shine, outstanding colour selection, and a durable, long-lasting finish.
Choose Electropak for your next Powder Coating project
High Quality: As well as using some of the best powders on the market such as Beckers, AkzoNobel, DuPont and HMG we also offer specialist pretreatment services including vapour degreasing and automatic iron phosphating using the latest technology.
Large Capacity: Our facilities in Preston are suitable for large items upto 3m in length and 2m high such as railings, gates and other architectural components as well as having the capacity for high volume batch processing.
Fast Quotations: We generally offer a 24 hour turn around on quotations, pricing by the meter for strips less than 3cm wide or by surface area for other items. Drawings are generally required and will speed up the process. For more information on our services or an informal conversation please feel free to contact us by e-mail or by phone on 01772 251444.